Delicious and moist Cinnamon Apple Muffins. A perfect dessert to make your day, and a perfect recipe that has fresh apple bits and cinnamon spice!
Are you a muffin fanatic? Then you have to try these Blueberry Muffins!
Ingredients for these cinnamon apple muffins
- Dry ingredients: you will need a basic flour like all-purpose, some baking soda, powder, sugar, and salt, along with cinnamon for extra fall flavor.
- Wet ingredients: large eggs, heavy cream (for richness), vanilla extract, melted butter (tastier than oil), apples, and lemon juice to keep the apples from browning.
- Streusel topping: This is one of my favorite parts! It is as simple as a combination of flour, salt, brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter.
What type of apples to use
This one tends to be a personal preference. I used gala apples. However, you can also use pink lady or Honeycrisp apples. Just make sure to use a crunchy and crisp apple. If you use a softer apple then after baking your apple bits will be a little mushy.
How to make these cinnamon apple muffins
- Combine all the dry muffin ingredients as instructed in the recipe card below and set them aside.
- Mix the eggs and remaining wet ingredients on high speed using an electric hand mixer.
- Then add the flour mixture and apples. You’ll want to line a muffin tin with cupcake liners and scoop them out using an extra-large cookie scoop.
The streusel topping
Everyone knows that having streusel on your apple muffins turns a good recipe into a great recipe. First, you want to combine your streusel ingredients (cold cubed butter, salt, cinnamon, flour, and brown sugar). You’ll want to use a fork to mash the ingredients together until it has a dry crumbly texture. If it begins turning into a paste then its probably because your butter was too warm. Once it’s completed, add a layer on top of each muffin and bake the muffins in the oven as instructed below.
How to store apple muffins
Anything fresh is always better, however, that doesn’t always happen. So to keep your muffins tasting as fresh as possible you want to keep them in an airtight container at room temperature. This method will allow you to enjoy them for up to 3 days.
Different flavor variations for muffins
Any recipe can be tweaked to your liking. Adding some nuts or seeds, grated apple, different spices, or even adding a maple glaze on top of this apple muffin recipe. These are just a few good flavor additions to apple muffins.
Watch a video on how to make these easy Apple Muffins!
If you are still not convinced to make this apple muffin recipe, then perhaps you will be interested in some of these great ideas!
Full Recipe Instructions
Cinnamon Apple Muffins
Ingredients for the muffins
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- 3 cups apples cubed
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
For the Streusel topping
- 5 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp butter cold
- Start off by combining all of your dry ingredients into a bowl. Add 2 cup all-purpose flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1 tsp cinnamon, then whisk together and set aside.
- Now add 2 eggs into a large bowl and whisk them on high speed with an electric mixer. You want to whisk them for a few minutes until the eggs become pale and fluffy.
- Then continue beating the eggs as you slowly add in 1 cup of granulated sugar. Keep beating for about 3 more minutes. The key to super fluffy muffins is well-beaten eggs.
- Now add 1 tsp vanilla extract and mix it unit the batter on high speed again and this time slowly add in 1/2 cup heavy cream.
- Now you can begin sifting in your dry ingredients into the batter. But don’t add it in all at once. You’ll want to add about 1/3 of the dry ingredients at a time with mixing in between.
- Once you’ve got all your dry ingredients well Incorporated, mix in 3 tbsp of unsalted melted butter.
- Now chop up 3 cups of your choice of apples (Galla, honey crisp, or pink lady work). Add the cubed apples to a bowl and mix it with 2 tbsp of fresh lemon juice.
- Fold the cubed apples into the batter using a spatula.
- Now Line your muffin tin with cupcake liners and begin scooping the batter out using a large cookie scoop.
- Before the muffins go in the oven you want to top them with a simple streusel. In a small bowl combine 5 tbsp all-purpose flour, 1 tsp cinnamon, a pinch of salt, 3 tbsp brown sugar, and 2 Tbsp.
- Mash that all together using a fork until all the ingredients are well combined and they have a crumbly dry texture to them.
- Now top the apple muffins with the streusel topping and bake them in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 35 mins.
- Strawberry Feta Spinach Salad - May 27, 2023
- Breaded Chicken Skewers - May 24, 2023
- Mango Smoothie - May 22, 2023
Helen Woodward says
These were absolutely perfect.
Easy recipe to follow and it worked beautifully.
This is a keeper 😊
Yay! That is so awesome to hear Helen! Always happy when people love my recipes and I am very happy that these apple muffins turned out perfectly! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback, I really appreciate it! 🙂 I hope you find many more delicious recipes to enjoy on my blog!
Loved the muffins ! They were so moist and light. I might change a couple of things though. First time around I always follow the directions exactly. In the directions you first said shredded apples then cubed and chopped. Not sure if it makes a difference but I did chopped. There was a word left out in the ingredients concerning the butter think it was melted. One place said melted the other did not.. Also I think there is a bit too much flour in the topping. I mixed it well but not much flavor in the topping. I have another recipe for a topping which i love and I’ll try that. Can’t wait to try them again!
Hi Sally, thank you for your honest feedback! I just double-checked the recipe and it says melted butter. So I am not too sure where you are referring to. But I do see what you mean about the shredded apples. Thank you for pointing that out 🙂
It still has shredded apples in the ingredients and cubed apples in the directions. Which works best? I assume that the cold butter in the topping needs to be cut up but the directions don’t say. Thanks for your clarification.
Hi Sheree, thank you so much for pointing that out. It should be cubed 🙂
Chelsea Vallentio says
I have tried this recipe and the muffins came out amazing! So happy that my family loved them as it was my first time baking muffins. Really recommend trying this recipe.
That’s so awesome to hear Chelsea! So happy your first time baking muffins was such a success 🙂 Very glad you and your family enjoyed these apple muffins 🙂 Thank you so much for your awesome feedback!
We made these muffins twice already and shared them with our friends who also thought they tasted amazing! A go-to simple recipe for a yummy dessert. The more streusel the better. We used self-raising flour though which also works well instead of normal flour.
That’s so awesome to hear Lillian! 🙂 Makes me so happy to hear you and your friends all loved these cinnamon apple muffins! Yes, the streusel is key 🙂 Thank you so much for your awesome review 🙂
I made these and they were delicious! However not sure what I did wrong following the instructions but I ended up with quite a dense muffin!
Still taste amazing!
Hi Mel, I’m happy to hear that the apple muffins were delicious. I’m not too sure why they came out dense. They should actually be very fluffy and airy. How long did you beat the eggs for? Sometimes under beating the eggs can result in dense muffins.
Dianna McPhee says
Just copied this recipe, love fall, apples and muffins. Will try tomorrow. Do you have a cookbook?
Hi Dianna, I can’t wait for you t give these cinnamon apple muffins a try! They are such a perfect fall dessert. Be sure to watch the video for easy instructions! I do not have a cookbook. But I hope to be a cookbook author someday in the future 🙂