My Easy Chicken Puff Wellington is going to become a new favorite meal for your family. Hints of dill bring out the brightness of this easy meal using a puff pastry base.
Typically a wellington is more commonly recognized as beef wellington since it’s served with beef inside the baked puff pastry. But really, you can pretty much make any meat or fish into a wellington like my delicious salmon wellington recipe.
Chicken in puff pastry
When using puff pastry, the first thought that usually comes to mind is dessert, but in this case, it’s more like a chicken pastry which is very similar to my cheesy mushroom puff pastry pinwheels. This chicken roll is stuffed with fresh dill, rice noodles, chicken and sautéed onions. It’s literally like a whole meal in one delicious roll. This recipe was inspired by Gordon Ramsay’s beef wellington but I gave it a little twist of my own using an old family recipe.
Ingredients for Chicken Puff Pastry
THE MEAT: I use ground chicken thighs since they’re juicier and more flavorful than chicken breast.
FILLING: Here you will need to sautee some onions and fresh garlic in butter. Then you’ll mix it with the chicken, dill, chopped boiled eggs, and mayonnaise. Then you will layer on the cooked rice noodles.
SPICES: The spices here a simple. All you need is red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper.
How to Make Chicken Puff Pastry Roll
- Cook the vegetables and chicken – All you need to do here is sautee the garlic and onion then add in the meat. Make sure it’s fully cooked before transferring it to a large bowl.
- Make the chicken filling– Now toss the cooked chicken into a bowl and add in the hard-boiled egg, dill, and mayonnaise.
- Roll out the puff pastry– before you set out to roll it out, make sure it’s well thawed.
- Fill and roll– Now spread the chicken wellington mixture on top of the puff pastry and add the cooked rice noodles on top and roll it up tightly.
- Bake it!– For a beautiful golden wellington crust, brush the chicken wellington with egg wash and bake it in the oven as instructed in the printable recipe card below.
Make it ahead of time
If you’re short on time you can always make the chicken wellington filling in advance and keep it in the fridge until ready to fill it into the puff pastry. You can do this even an entire day before.
What to serve with a chicken wellington
Well since the wellington is practically an entire meal on its own you can easily get away with serving it with a meatless soup or simple side salad. Here are some great serving suggestions.
- creamy mushroom soup
- french onion soup
- couscous arugula salad
- quinoa spinach salad
- Sauteed garlic asparagus
More Ground Chicken Recipes
This chicken puff pastry roll is a unique and delicious recipe that is ideal for satisfying a craving for a savory pastry dish. I love using ground chicken in my recipes and know you will as well. It’s so much healthier than other ground meats! Below are some of my favorite ground chicken recipes for you to try.
- Chicken Meatball Soup
- Paleo Zucchini Fritters with Ground Chicken
- Chicken Croquettes Stuffed with Mozzarella
- Ground Chicken Stuffed Peppers
Easy Chicken Wellington Roll (with rice noodles)
- 1/3 package Rice noodles (from a 7 oz pkg)
- 1 lb sheets puff pastry (comes with 2 sheets)
- 1 egg + 1 tbsp water for egg wash
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 1/2 tbsp chopped dill
- 2 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1 hard-boiled egg
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes optional
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
Cook the vegetables and chicken
- In a skillet, melt the butter and saute the chopped onion and minced garlic over medium heat until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the ground chicken, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to the sauteed onion. The red pepper flakes are optional and ground chicken can be substituted with other ground meats.
- After the chicken is fully cooked, remove the excess liquid from the skillet.
Boil the rice noodles
- Meanwhile, fill a bowl with boiling water and submerge 1/3 of the rice noodles for about 20 minutes.
- Once the noodles have softened a cooked in the hot water, strain out any extra water with a mesh colander and set aside.
Make the filling
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked ground chicken, mayonnaise, and chopped hard-boiled egg.
Roll out the puff pastry
- On a floured surface, roll out the puff pastry in one direction so it stretches to about 12 inches.
- Spread 1/2 of the meat mixture onto each puff pastry sheet and add a thin layer of rice noodles.
Fill and bake
- Roll up the dough longways and transfer over to a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Pinch the ends so that the filling won't spill out.
- Using a sharp knife, make about 8 slits along the top of the roll. Beat the egg and water together and brush the egg wash onto each roll with a party brush.
- Bake at 370 degrees Fahrenheit for 40-45 minutes. Serve warm with sour cream.
Save time and make it in advanceIf you're tight on time you can always make the filling in advance and keep it in the fridge until ready to fill it into the puff pastry. You can do this even an entire day before.
What to serve with itYou can't go wrong with serving a meat dish with a meatless soup and salad. Here are some great serving suggestions.
This recipe was originally posted on March 18, 2015, we’ve tweaked it a bit since then.