These Mini Chicken Pot Pies are made with creamy chicken cubes, sauteed vegetables, and topped with an easy baked puff pastry crust. And the best part is they’re so easy!
Table Of Contents
Mini Chicken Pot Pies Recipe Details
You can’t beat a homemade pie, especially a savory one! These Mini Chicken Pot Pies are the ultimate comfort food.
- TASTE: Savory inside with a buttery crust on top, these pot pies are scrumptious. You’ll just love the comforting mix of flavors in each one.
- TEXTURE: These Mini Chicken Pot Pies are warm and creamy with a flaky crust. What’s not to love?
- TIME: This recipe will take a total of 40 minutes from start to finish.
- EASE: These Mini Chicken Pot Pies are really easy and use simple ingredients. You’ll love making this homemade dish for your family.
What You’ll Need
- Chicken breast– boneless, skinless
- Vegetables- Garlic clove, Onion, Carrots, Frozen peas, and Frozen corn
- Seasonings- Dried thyme, Black pepper, and Salt
- All-purpose flour
- Chicken broth– low sodium
- Heavy cream
- Puff pastry– one package (2 sheets total)
How To Make Mini Chicken Pot Pies
- Sautee the vegetables. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Then saute the chopped onion and minced garlic for a few minutes, until the onion is translucent. Add the chopped carrots and stir them for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the chicken. Bring the heat to high and add the chopped chicken. Stir until the chicken is cooked through.
- Brown the flour. Now add the flour and stir it for a few minutes until no more patches of dry flour remain.
- Stir in the broth, cream, and spices. Now you can pour in the chicken broth and heavy cream. Stir that all together and let the sauce come to a simmer. Then add the dried thyme, black pepper, and salt. Stir for a few minutes to let the ingredients come together.
- Add the peas and corn. Now add the frozen peas and corn, and let that come to a simmer once more.
- Fill the ramekins. Using 8 4 oz. ramekins, fill them with the chicken pot pie filling.
- Top them with puff pastry. Now place your thawed puff pastry sheet onto a lightly floured surface and cut out 8 circles. Place one on each of the ramekins, brushing the top with an egg wash made of whisked egg and water.
- Bake. Bake the Mini Chicken Pot Pies in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20-22 minutes.
Pro Tip: To get the right size for the top crust, I like to use one of the ramekins as a guide. I just press it into the dough and cut around it leaving a 1/2-inch border.
- Finely chop the chicken- Make sure your chicken is chopped pretty small. It’s more enjoyable to eat when they’re tiny.
- Brown the flour– The flour is what will get your sauce to thicken, so don’t skip it! And make sure to stir it until you don’t see any more patches of dry flour appear.
- Leave a little extra around the top crust- When you cut out the puff pastry, leave a 1/2 inch extra to press down on the sides of the ramekin so as it heats, it doesn’t pull away.
- Brush the top of the crust with egg wash- This is what gives your Mini Chicken Pot Pies that beautiful golden color on top.
Add-ins and Substitutions
- Substitute rotisserie chicken- To save time, you can use an already-cooked rotisserie chicken from the store to make these Mini Chicken Pot Pies.
- Add different vegetables- The vegetables I used are the traditional ones found in a pot pie, but you can use others, such as asparagus tips, riced cauliflower, mashed potato, or chopped spinach.
- Substitute a different crust- I used puff pastry in this recipe, but you could make a homemade pie crust if you like. Using biscuit dough or Bisquick is also an easy option.
- Make it lighter- If you want to make this dish a little lighter, you can substitute Half & Half for the heavy cream. You can also use less butter or substitute a healthy oil, like olive.
One of the best and tastiest ways to thicken the pie filling is to add flour and cream. You want to prevent the flour from clumping up so make sure to cook the flour with the vegetables prior to adding in the liquid.
If it’s fresh: Depending on if your using a pie crust or puff pastry crust will determine how long they bake. For pie dough, bake for 30 minutes. For the puff pastry dough, bake for 22 minutes.
If it’s frozen: Let the pies thaw for 30 minutes, then bake (covered) for about 30-40 minutes.
These Mini Chicken Pot Pies are so flavorful and versatile. They work great with other sides and dishes.
- Meats: These Mini Chicken Pot Pies can be served alongside other meats, such as Easy Homemade Barbecue Meatballs and Juicy Air Fryer Pork Chops (VIDEO).
- Salad: Start the meal with a fresh cold salad, like this Spinach Pomegranate Salad, Cucumber Tomato Feta Salad, or Best Broccoli Cranberry Salad.
- Sides: Serve Air Fryer Broccoli, Crispy Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts, or Bacon Wrapped Asparagus on the side.
- Soups: Enjoy these mini pot pies with a warm soup. Try this Cream of Mushroom Soup, Chicken Tortilla Soup, or Easy French Onion Soup.
Make These Mini Chicken Pot Pies in Advance
Make ahead: Make your chicken pot pies a day ahead, and then add your puff pastry top and bake them in the oven when you’re ready to serve.
Storing: These Mini Chicken Pot Pies can last in the fridge for up to 4 days. You will just want to cover them with foil or use a resealable container for storage.
Freeze: You can freeze them for up to 2-3 months stored in an airtight container. Allow them to thaw for at least 30 minutes (or overnight), then cook them in the oven until warmed through.
More Delicious Chicken Dishes!
- Easy Chicken Quesadilla Recipe
- Chicken and Mushroom Phyllo Appetizers (VIDEO)
- Cajun Chicken Pasta
- Chicken Pesto Pizza
- Chipotle Chicken Bowl Recipe (VIDEO)
Full Recipe Instructions
Mini Chicken Pot Pies
- Start off by melting 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Then add 1/2 cup of chopped onion and 1 minced garlic clove. Sauté for a few minutes or until the onion becomes translucent.
- Then add in 1/2 cup of chopped carrots into the skillet and stir them for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chopped chicken– Now bring the heat up to high and toss in 1 pound of chopped chicken breast. Keep mixing the meat until it’s fully cooked through.
- Brown the flour– Now add 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour and stir it for a few minutes until no more patches of dry flour appear.
- Stir in the broth, cream, and spices– Now you can pour in 1 cup of low sodium chicken broth and 1/2 cup heavy cream. Stir that all together and let the sauce come to a simmer.
- Then add 1/4 tsp dried Thyme, 1/4 tsp black pepper, and 1 tsp Salt.
- Then continue stirring the spices in for another few minutes and to let the ingredients infuse together.
- Add peas and corn and fill up the ramekins– Now add 1/2 cup of frozen peas and 1/2 cup of frozen corn. And let that come to a simmer once more.
- Take out 8 (4 oz) ramekins and fill them with the chicken pot pie filling.
- Top with puff pastry, egg wash, and bake! Now place your thawed puff pastry sheet onto a lightly floured surface and cut out 8 circles.
- I like to use one of the ramekins as a guide so I just press it into the dough and cut around it leaving about 1/2 inch border.
- Now you can take your cut out circles of puff pastry and place them directly over each filled ramekin.
- Then make the egg wash by combining one large egg with a teaspoon of water. Then brush it over each pot pie. And bake the mini chicken pot pies in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20-22 minutes.
- How to make these ahead of time
- How to freeze
- How to thicken chicken pot pie filling