Homemade Barbecue Meatballs are the perfect appetizer featuring simple ingredients and a delightful homemade sauce that is ideal for parties and events.
Make sure to bookmark our homemade barbecue sauce recipe as well as this meatball recipe to have great options for future meals.
This recipe was originally posted March 9, 2015, we’ve tweaked it a bit since then. This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Easy Homemade Barbecue Meatballs
These grilled barbecue meatballs are smothered in a simple homemade hickory barbecue sauce that is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. They are simple to prepare and make a great barbecue appetizer. You can even put them on hoagie bread and eat them as a meatball sub.
Tip: Grill up large batches of these meatballs, then allow them to cool before putting into freezer storage bags or containers to freeze for future use. A great easy grab and go meal in minutes!
Ingredients for Barbecue Meatballs
Ingredients for Homemade Barbecue Sauce
How to Make Meatballs
Before you begin, make sure to print the recipe below and read over it at least once to familiarize yourself with the steps. You will begin with making your sauce on the stove top. This takes about 30 minutes as it simmers and cooks down. While this is cooking, follow the directions and measurements below to mix together the meats and seasonings to form the meatball mixture.
Once your meatball mixture is ready, form small balls or use a small ice cream scoop to scoop the mixture and then roll until in the shape of a ball. You will cook these meatballs on the grill for best flavor and then cover in barbecue sauce to finish cooking in a dutch oven pot.
Note: If you don’t have a grill, these meatballs can easily be prepared on a greased skillet.
More Delicious Recipe Ideas
I absolutely love grilling when the temperatures are warmer, and this recipe is a favorite. If you are planning to fire up the grill, you may want to also make our Grilled Chicken Wings Recipe, or make ribs on the grill with my barbecue sauce as a topping.
Easy Homemade Barbecue Meatballs
- 2 lb ground beef
- 2 lb ground pork
- 1 tsp pressed or zested garlic
- 3/4 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup Finely chopped shallots
- 4 cups Ketchup
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp liquid smoke
- In medium sized saucepan heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add in the chopped shallots and stir for about 3 minutes. Then add in the rest of the ingredients for the sauce: ketchup, molasses, honey, worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and liquid smoke.
- Reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for about 30-40 minutes making sure to stir occasionally.
- In a large bowl combine the beef, pork, pressed garlic, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and water. I find that using my hands is the easiest way to get it mixed well.
- Once the meat is mixed well, begin shaping it into balls (about 2 inches in diameter).
- Grill the meatballs on high heat until they are fully cooked.
- Add the meat balls into a heavy bottomed pot and pour the sauce over them. Keep the pot over low heat for 30 minutes, making sure to stir occasionally. Serve them as an appetizer on a toothpick or in a sandwich. I used hoagie bread.