These Mushroom Puff Pastry Appetizers are insanely delicious and perfect for entertaining. The mix of mushroom, garlic, and chicken in a flaky crust will wow your guests and family.
And if you want some more appetizer ideas, be sure to try this Crab Artichoke Dip. Or you can always just serve these with my shrimp scampi pasta or chicken scampi.
What do I need to make these mushroom appetizers?
- Protein- Chicken (shredded)
- Vegetables- Mushrooms (chopped), Garlic
- Dairy- Mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- Seasonings and Herbs- Olive oil, Salt, Black pepper, Mayonnaise, Fresh dill
- Puff Pastry Shells
Where can I buy puff pastry shells?
The shells for these Mushroom Puff Pastry Appetizers can be found in any grocery store, in the freezer section near the desserts.
How to make mushroom puff pastry appetizers
- Saute chopped mushrooms. Place the olive oil in a medium pan and cook the mushrooms over medium-high heat until they are tender.
- Combine filling ingredients. Mix the mushrooms, garlic, chicken, mayonnaise, mozzarella, salt, pepper, and dill together in a bowl.
- Fill the shells. Fill each thawed puff pastry shell with a heaping tablespoon of the chicken mixture and then place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake them. Brush each mushroom puff pastry appetizer with egg wash before baking them for 30 minutes at 390 degrees Fahrenheit.
How to make them ahead of time (time-saving tip!)
If you’re short on time, you can prep these Mushroom Puff Pastries by making the chicken and mushroom filling ahead of time and then storing it in an airtight container in the fridge until you are ready to fill and bake the shells.
How to reheat the mushroom appetizers
Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for about 8 minutes.
How to make them healthier?
For a lower-calorie alternative that contains less fat, but still tastes amazing, try these Chicken and Mushroom Phyllo appetizers.
What to serve with mushroom puff pastry appetizers
- Garlic Shrimp Scampi Pasta
- Ribeye Steak
- Loaded Chicken Nachos
- Chicken Alfredo Lasagna
- Baked Eggplant Parmesan
More savory puff pastry recipes to try
Full Recipe Instructions
Mushroom Puff Pastry Appetizers
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup shredded chicken
- 4 oz mushrooms chopped
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 pkg puff pastry shells
- 1 tbsp fresh dill chopped
Sautee chopped mushrooms
- 1 . Heat olive oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat and sauté the chopped mushrooms until they become tender.
Combine filling ingredients
- 2 . In a bowl combine, the cooked mushrooms, shredded chicken, mozzarella cheese, mayonnaise, garlic, dill, salt, and pepper.
Fill and bake the shells
- 3 . Place the thawed puff pastry shells on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and fill each shell with 1 heaping tablespoon of the chicken mixture. Then brush with egg wash and bake at 390 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.
How to make them in advanceIf you're tight on time, you can prep these Mushroom Puff Pastries by making the chicken and mushroom filling ahead of time and then storing it in an airtight container in the fridge until you are ready to fill and bake the shells.
How to reheat the mushroom appetizersPlace them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for about 8 minutes.
- Easy Napoleon Cake Recipe (VIDEO) - June 7, 2023
- Tropical Smoothie - June 5, 2023
- Cherry Cobbler - June 3, 2023
You mentioned an egg wash but don’t explain how to do it.
Hi Becky, egg wash is just 1 egg plus roughly about 1 Tbsp of water light beaten together.
Sheri Mason says
I don’t have a 390 degree setting on my oven. I have 325, 350, 375 and 400. What temperature do you suggest? New to cooking by the way😂
Hi Sheri 🙂 Glad to hear you are new to cooking and giving it a try! If your oven doesn’t have any option of 390 degrees F then 400 will work. Your oven may show those temperatures but you may be able to turn the dial in between those numbers. Give that a try in case it works. Let me know how this recipes turns out. 🙂
Bonnie France says
Do you remove the center cut out before filling with chicken mixture?
Hi Bonnie, you don’t remove the center. The weight of the mushroom filling will keep it from rising, while the edges rise after baking. I hope that helps.
Hi I cannot find the puff pastry as shown in your image. Can you please suggest other alternatives.?
Marilyn from BC Canada
Hi Marilyn, I am not too sure what the grocery stores in Canada have available. Since I am from the US it is hard for me to help with alternative brands. I hope that makes sense. Honestly, any brand of puff pastry should work 🙂
Hi I don’t see how the puff pastry was prepared did you cut out cicles first then add the topping then place in the oven
Hi, the puff pastry circles were actually pushed in that shape. If you look at the ingredient image at the top of the post, you can see what they look like on the package.
I’m assuming the chicken should be cooked ahead of time,
Hi Nancy 🙂 For this recipe, I used shredded chicken which was precooked. If you wanted to use the chicken you have at home then make sure it is cooked ahead of time. I hope that helps 🙂
Why are they called mushroom puff pastry when there is more chicken in the recipe than mushrooms?
Hi Mike, this is an older recipe. It was just a name I gave it. But I totally see what you mean 🙂