All you need is 4 ingredients to make this smoked salmon cucumber appetizer recipe.
These tasty appetizers are very elegant yet super simple to make. Their subtle flavor makes it easy to serve with almost any meal.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
How to make smoked salmon cucumber appetizers
- First, combine the softened cream cheese, chopped dill, and smoked salmon into a smooth spread. Then, peel the cucumber into thin strips using a vegetable peeler.
- You’ll want to blot each cucumber slice with a paper towel to absorb any moisture on the cucumber. This will really help with spreading the smoked salmon cream cheese spread on top.
- Now spread the smoked salmon spread on top and tightly roll each sliced cucumber up.
TIPS to make smoked salmon cucumber appetizer.
- I like to use a “Y” shaped peeler to get wider strips of cucumber.
- Also, pat the sliced cucumber with paper towels to dry them so the cream cheese mixture doesn’t slide around.
- If you use room temperature cream cheese, it will really help better incorporate the smoked salmon.
Can I make smoked salmon cucumber rolls ahead of time?
Unfortunately, these appetizers are best served an hour or 2 after making them. So, you can’t make them too far in advance or they may get a little soggy. Also, make sure to keep them refrigerated until ready to serve.
Can I use lox or cold smoked salmon instead of hot smoked salmon?
Technically, you can, but the texture and taste will be different than with hot smoked salmon.
What is the difference between cold smoked and hot smoked salmon?
Cold smoked salmon often referred to as lox is cured in a salt and sugar rub or brine. Hot smoked salmon is actually smoked and cooked with heat.
This recipe was inspired by one of my first recipes published on my blog, smoked salmon appetizers. I’ve decided to make a low-carb, and healthier version of the first salmon appetizer on my blog. And to my surprise, this healthier version of the recipe is more popular!
If you love salmon, try these other salmon recipes:
Salmon Wellington– Salmon and cheesy spinach wrapped in puff pastry.
Panko Crusted Salmon– with lemony garlic mayonnaise and crispy panko Parmesan crust.
Pesto Butter Salmon– baked with fresh basil pesto butter.
These are the best smoked salmon cucumber appetizer you've ever tried. They're so simple yet so elegant looking.
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 large cucumber
- 1 tbsp dill chopped
- 3 oz smoked salmon
- Combine softened cream cheese, chopped dill, and smoked salmon into a smooth spread.
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel the cucumber into thin strips.
- Spread the smoked salmon spread onto each strip and roll up.
- Serve chilled.
This recipe was originally posted on July 12, 2016. As you can see, it has been updated since. Here are some of our older images.