This Bang Bang Shrimp Recipe is a copycat from Bonefish Grill and has all the creamy, spicy, crunchiness that you can expect. You’re going to love this scrumptious side dish.
Table Of Contents
Bang Bang Shrimp Details
After trying this delicious Bang Bang Shrimp dish at Bonefish Grill, I just had to make my own version. Here are all the details of this dish.
- Taste: These shrimp have a delicious fried flavor that perfectly compliments the sweet and spicy sauce.
- Texture: Since the shrimp are deep-fried, they have an irresistibly crunchy texture that goes so well with the creamy sauce.
- Time: Not gonna lie, bang bang shrimp take a little bit of time since they are fried in batches. But the results are well worth the wait!
- Ease: This shrimp recipe is quite easy to make, it just requires a little bit of patience.
What You’ll Need
- Large shrimp- peeled and deveined
- For the dredge- Buttermilk, Cornstarch, Salt, Pepper, and Garlic powder
- For the sauce- Mayonnaise, Sweet chili sauce, and Sriracha
- Corn or Vegetable oil- for frying (any high smoke point oil will work)
- Green onions- sliced, to garnish
How to Make Bang Bang Shrimp
For the full detailed recipe with measurements, scroll down to the printable recipe card. This is a quick breakdown of the recipe with step-by-step photos.
- Make the dredge. In a large bowl, combine the cornstarch, salt, pepper, and garlic powder with a whisk. Set aside.
- Combine the shrimp and buttermilk. Now add the shrimp to a bowl with the buttermilk and coat them.
- Dredge the shrimp. Toss a few shrimp at a time into the cornstarch mixture and then shake them to coat fully. Only do this with the shrimp you will immediately be frying.
- Heat the frying oil. In a heavy-bottomed pot, add about 2 inches of oil and bring it to medium-high, or 340 degrees Fahrenheit. Use an instant-read thermometer to measure the oil temperature.
- Fry the shrimp. Using a slotted spoon, place the dredged shrimp into the hot oil. Once they are fully cooked (about 4-5 minutes), carefully remove them and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess oil. Repeat with the remaining shrimp.
- Make the bang bang sauce. In a separate bowl, add the mayonnaise, sweet chili sauce, and sriracha. If you like more heat, add more sriracha to your taste.
- Toss and garnish. Now, toss the fried shrimp into the sauce and serve them atop a bed of butter lettuce. Garnish with chopped green onion and enjoy!
Bang Bang Shrimp Tips
- Don’t dredge all the shrimp at once. It will turn into a big clumpy mess. So, don’t do any more than 10 shrimp at a time.
- Monitor oil temperature. Make sure the shrimps are fried at 340 degrees Fahrenheit for proper cooking. I recommend using an instant-read thermometer for this step.
- Only fry a few shrimp at a time. Adding in too many shrimp at once will cause the oil temperature to drop and not cook properly. Which will take away from the crunchiness.
Add-ins and Substitutes
- Make it healthier– You can use sour cream or Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise. You can even skip the frying and grill the shrimp as I did in my skinny bang bang shrimp recipe.
- Turn it into a pasta dish– Toss the fried shrimp and sauce into 1 lb of cooked spaghetti and you have a done deal meal!
- Add extra veggies– You can sauté your favorite vegetables like red peppers, asparagus, and broccoli and serve it with the cooked shrimp
I find that using large peeled and deveined shrimp works best, but you can use any size you like.
The origin of this appetizer is Thai, but the term “bang bang” comes from a popular Chinese chicken dish that is tenderized by banging the meat with a stick.
Bonefish Grill’s famous shrimp appetizer is made with a sauce the contains mayonnaise, sweet chili sauce, and sriracha. The shrimp are also garnished with chopped green onion.
- Pasta– serve the crispy shrimp with 1 pound of hot buttered pasta.
- Lettuce– place the fried shrimp on a bed of butter lettuce just like Bonefish Grill restaurant.
- Tacos– add them into some warm flour tortillas with cabbage slaw on top.
- Rice– turn it into a rice bowl with some cooked white or brown rice for a complete meal.
How to Store and Reheat
Store these Bang Bang Shrimp in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat them, place the shrimp on a baking sheet and heat them through in an oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. This keeps them crisp. You may want to whip up some extra sauce if they seem a little dry after the reheat process.
Can I make This in Advance?
Yes, you can. Just prepare the cornstarch dredge mixture in a lidded container and leave it at room temperature. Next, make the sauce and place it, covered, in the fridge. When you are ready to make your Bang Bang Shrimp, just dredge, fry, and sauce them and serve!
More Delicious Shrimp Dishes to Enjoy!
- Crispy Shrimp Tempura Recipe
- Air Fryer Shrimp
- Shrimp Alfredo Pasta
- 30 minute Cajun Shrimp Pasta
- Shrimp Quinoa Bowl Recipe
Video Recipe Here
Full Recipe Instructions
Bang Bang Shrimp Recipe
- In a separate bowl, make the sauce by combining 1 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 cup sweet chili sauce, and 2 1/2 teaspoons sriracha. If you like more heat, add more sriracha per taste.
- Now fill a heavy-bottomed pot with about 2 inches of high smoke point oil like corn oil, vegetable, or canola. Then bring it to medium-high heat (340 degrees Fahrenheit). Use an instant-read thermometer to measure the oil temperature.
- Now add 2 pounds or large raw shrimp (peeled and deveined) into a bowl with1 1/2 cups buttermilk.
- Then toss a few shrimp into the cornstarch mixture and shake them around the coat them fully. Then use a large slotted spoon to fry them in the hot oil. Don’t throw all the shrimp in the cornstarch mixture at once. This will make them too wet. So only do a few at a time.
- Once the shrimp are cooked (about 4-5minutes) carefully remove them from the pot of hot oil and place them on a plate lined with paper towels. Repeat this with the remaining shrimp.
- Make the sauce by combining 1 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 cup sweet chili sauce, and 2 1/2 teaspoon sriracha in a bowl.
- Now toss the fried shrimp into the bang bang shrimp sauce and place them on a bed of butter lettuce. Garnish with chopped green onion and enjoy.
- How to make it healthier
- How to store and reheat
- Serving suggestions
- Recipe Tips