This easy apple fritter recipe is loaded with fresh apples and dipped in a sweet donut glaze.
Apple fritters are the perfect donut to make for the fall season since apples taste best this time of year. The soft texture of the yeast dough along with the little bits of apple is a perfect combination with the sweet glaze.
What is an apple fritter?
Apple fritters are doughnuts consisting of fried yeast dough and chopped apple chunks. They are typically then dipped in a doughnut glaze made with powdered sugar and milk.
This post has Amazon affiliate links for tools we used to make this recipe.
Ingredients for apple fritter recipe
- warm milk
- granulated sugar
- dry active yeast
- apples, diced
- lemon juice
- all-purpose flour
- unsalted butter
- Oil for frying
Ingredients for donut glaze
- powdered sugar
- vanilla extract
How to make apple fritters
- Combine warm milk, sugar, and yeast into a bowl or large measuring cup. Leave it in a warm place for about 20 minutes or until it becomes frothy. Then add eggs to it.
- Add the flour and salt into the bowl of a stand mixer, then pour the yeast mixture and softened butter in.
- Combine chopped apples with lemon juice and cinnamon. Then add it to the bowl of yeast dough. Cover the bowl, and let the dough rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Fry the apple fritters in hot oil until golden brown. Combine the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla. Then dip each cooled apple fritter into the glaze using a slotted dipping scoop.
Also, try these scrumptious apple recipes
Apple Strudel– wrapped in crispy phyllo dough
Baked Dulce De Leche Apples– a simple, and quick dessert for last-minute guests
- 1 cup warm milk
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp dry active yeast
- 3 cups 3 medium apples diced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- Oil for frying
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 7 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a large measuring cup or bowl combine 1 cup of warm milk and 3 tbsp of sugar. Then sprinkle the yeast over top and let it sit in a warm place for about 20 minutes or until it becomes foamy.
- Meanwhile, wash, peal, and dice the apples. Once the apples are diced, add fresh lemon juice and ground cinnamon and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, lightly beat the eggs and add them to the milk and yeast mixture.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer add the flour and salt. Then mix in the yeast mixture using the paddle attachment.
- Add the softened butter and apples and mix to combine.
- Cover the mixer bowl with plastic wrap and place it in a warm place for about 1 hour for the dough to rise.
- Fill a heavy bottomed pot with 1 inch of corn oil and bring the temperature to medium high heat. Scoop 1/4 cup of the dough and place it in the pot.
- Cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side of the fritter or until golden brown. Transfer to a dish lined with paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
- In a bowl combine 4 cups of powdered sugar, 7 tbsp of milk, and 1 tsp of vanilla. This will be the glaze.
- Once the fritters have cooled a little, dip the entire fritter into the glaze and transfer to a cooling rack.
Ps, some of the photos in this apple fritter recipe have been updated, here are out old images.