These Chocolate Florentine Lace Cookies are elegant with a mix of nutty, chocolatey flavor. This delicious cookie recipe is easy to make and looks beautiful, making it perfect to serve for dessert or give as a gift.
Chocolate Lace Cookies (Florentine Cookies)
Chocolate Florentine Lace Cookies are a festive and fun dessert that you just have to try. The recipe is easy to follow and uses tasty ingredients like melted chocolate, chopped almonds, and brown sugar. These Florentine cookies are sweet with the perfect crunch from the honey-sweetened almonds that are used for their base. After baking, they are slim and held together as a sandwich by decadent chocolate that’s been melted and brushed on. You are going to love this recipe for chocolate lace cookies. It’s the perfect homemade dessert for this time of year.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Florentine cookies
You can make them gluten-free!
This recipe is really easy to make gluten-free. Just substitute brown rice flour for the all-purpose flour and follow the rest of the steps. Your Chocolate Lace cookies are now gluten-free!
How to make these chocolate lace cookies
- Chop the almonds. Place the almonds in a food processor and pulse on high speed until the almonds are chopped into fine crumbs. Set them aside.
- Melt the butter and sugar. In a medium saucepan, place the butter, brown sugar, and honey. Melt them together, stirring with a metal whisk. Once they come to a boil, remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the vanilla and flour. Now stir in the vanilla extract and flour.
- Add in the chopped almonds. Using a spatula, mix in the almonds.
- Scoop out the dough. Scoop out 1/2-tablespoon-sized scoops of the cookie dough onto a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat, or parchment paper. Place each scoop at least 3 inches apart since they will spread while baking.
- Preheat the oven. Preheat to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. While you’re waiting, roll each scoop of cookie dough into a ball and then place it back on the baking sheet.
- Bake. Put the baking sheet in the oven on the center rack and bake for 8 minutes, turning once halfway, at the 4-minute mark.
- Melt the chocolate. While the lace cookies are baking, melt the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl until fully melted. Stir at intervals to make sure the chocolate doesn’t get scorched.
- Assemble the Florentine cookies. Take one cookie and spread a little bit of the melted chocolate on the back of it. Then place another cookie on top, the back side facing the chocolate.
- Set and serve. Allow the chocolate to set for about 1-2 hours. Then serve.
Storage and shelf life
To store these Florentine cookies, place them in an airtight container with parchment paper in between the layers. The lace cookies can be kept at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
More yummy cookie recipes
- Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
- Linzer Cookies with Raspberry Jam
- Monster Cookies
- Double Chocolate Cookies (VIDEO)
- Chewy Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
Watch the Full video on how to make these Florentine Lace cookies!
Lace Cookies with Chocolate (Florentine Cookies)
Chop the nuts
Melt the butter, brown sugar, and honey
- In a medium saucepan add 1/2 cup unsalted butter, 3/4 cup brown sugar, and 1/4 cup honey. Stir using a metal whisk.
- Once it comes to a boil, turn the heat off and remove the saucepan from the heat.
Add vanilla, flour, and almonds
- Now, use a spatula to mix in the finely chopped almonds. ￼
Scoop, roll, and bake
- Then scoop out about 1/2 tablespoon-sized scoops of the cookie dough onto a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat. If you don’t have a silicone mat, parchment paper works too. But the mats will result in more even baking.
- Make sure to place each scoop of the lace cookie dough at least 3 inches apart. They will spread a lot when they bake.
- Now preheat your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Then take each piece of cookie batter and roll it out to a ball, and place it half onto the baking sheet.
- Place each baking sheet in the center rack (one at a time). Then bake for 8 minutes making sure to turn once after 4 minutes.
Sandwich the cookie between melted chocolate
- While the cookies are looking, melt 1 1/2 cups of semisweet chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl until fully melted. Always be sure to do this in intervals with stirring in between to avoid scorching the chocolate￼.
- Now take 1 Florentine cookie and gently spread a little bit of the melted chocolate on the back of it, then place a similar sized cookie on top. So you want the back of each cookie to sandwich the chocolate in between them.
- Let the chocolate set for about 1-2 hours before serving.