This Easy Apple Pie Filling is super simple and delicious. Sweet and gooey and full of cinnamon apples, this filling will taste amazing in your favorite pie crust or on the side of some vanilla ice cream.
Super simple apple pie filling
Apples pie is so delicious and always a favorite. This incredibly simple apple pie filling is sweet and flavorful, perfect for a homemade pie. You can add it to a store-bought crust or one you make yourself. This filling uses simple ingredients and the best apples for baking, so you can easily put this homemade treat together. Enjoy it with family or bring it to a holiday get-together. Either way, this perfectly balanced sweet-tart filling will be the star. And if you’re in charge of desserts, try this superb peach cobbler (video), tasty raspberry almond tart, or our blueberry pie (video) (with this blueberry pie filling!).
What will I need?
This pie filling uses tart Granny Smith apples, along with granulated sugar and brown sugar for sweetness, cornstarch and water for thickening, and lemon, vanilla extract, and cinnamon for flavor.
Do I have to use granny smith apples?
Granny Smith apples are a great option for apple pie filling because they are firm and tart, which offers great flavor and texture. However, you can use other apples for baking. I recommend apples such as Jonagold, Golden Delicious, and Honeycrisp as alternatives.
What else can I use besides cornstarch?
How to make apple pie filling
- Prepare the liquid base. Add the brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice, cornstarch, and water to a saucepan and bring it to a boil over medium heat. Then let it simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Slice the apples. Peel and slice the apples￼ into 1/4-inch thick slices and add them to the liquid. Reduce the heat to low and cover. Simmer for 6-8 minutes, or until moderately soft.
- Thicken the filling, if necessary. If your filling is too runny, take a few tablespoons of the liquid out and mix it with some cornstarch, then add the slurry back into the filling to thicken it.
- Cool. Allow the filling to cool. Then, either pour it into a pie crust or transfer it to glass jars. Close the lids tightly and store it in the fridge. It will continue to thicken as it sits.
Best way to store it
The best way to store this simple apple pie filling is in an airtight container in the refrigerator. This will keep it fresh until you are ready to use it. You can also freeze it.
How long will it keep?
This easy filling will last for about 2 weeks in the refrigerator. If you choose to freeze it for future baking, it will keep for about a year.
Apple Pie Filling
Simmer the liquid base
- Let it come to a boil over medium heat and let that simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Add in the apples
- Now peel and slice the apples￼ into 1/4 inch thick slices. Then add them to the saucepan.
- Reduce the heat to low and cover the saucepan and let the apples simmer for 6-8 minutes. Or until they become soft. You don’t want them to be too soft though.
- If the Apple pie filling is too runny, spoon out a few tablespoons of the liquid and mix it with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch to create a slurry. Then stir it back in with the apples.
Cool and store in glass jars
- Now let the filling cool and transfer to glass jars and close the lids tightly.
- Store in the fridge. The filling will thicken as it sits.