These are the BEST Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries! They’re crisp, well-seasoned, and make the perfect healthy snack when you’re craving fries.
The best air fryer sweet potato fries
These air fryer sweet potato fries are sweet, salty, and crispy. They have amazing texture because they are fried, but without all the oil of deep frying. This healthier version of sweet potato fries will go great with sandwiches and burgers, or just as a snack with your favorite dipping sauce. These sweet potato fries are also gluten-free, making them perfect for anyone avoiding wheat. You’ll love the crispy texture of these air fryer fries and how well the mix of seasonings complements the sweet potato’s naturally sweet flavor.
Ingredients for this recipe
How to make sweet potato fries in the air fryer
- Cut the sweet potato. Rinse the sweet potato and pat it dry with paper towels, getting it as dry as possible. Then cut it into your desired fry size (mine were about 1/4-1/2-inch thick).
- Make the seasoning mix. In a small bowl, mix the garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, pepper, and tapioca flour together.
3. Toss the sweet potato fries in the seasonings. In a large bowl, add the fries, seasoning mix, and oil. Toss everything together with clean hands until the fries are well-coated.
4. Preheat the basket air fryer. Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and place the fries in the basket in a single layer, no overlapping.
5. Cook. Fry the sweet potato fries for 20 minutes, shaking them about halfway through. Serve hot and crispy.
How long will it take for the sweet potatoes to cook?
The sweet potato fries will cook for about 20 minutes if they are 1/4-1/2-inch thick. If you cut yours thinner, they’ll be done sooner. If they are thicker, it may take longer. The cook time will depend on the size of your sweet potato fries.
Get creative with different flavors
Air fryer sweet potato fries are so delicious, you could serve them with just plain old ketchup and enjoy them. But you can also get creative…
- Spicy- Sprinkle some cayenne pepper to give your fries some kick.
- Sweet and savory- Try these sweet potato fries with some Crispy Air Fryer Bacon and a drizzle of maple syrup.
- Greek inspired- Serve these fries with red onion, feta cheese crumbles, oregano, and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Make them dessert- Toss your sweet potato fries in cinnamon and sugar and then drizzle them with a powdered sugar and cream icing.
Tips to make them extra crispy
- Don’t overcrowd– Make sure that the fries are laying in the basket in a single layer. If they are overcrowded, they won’t all cook and brown at the same rate and will not be crispy.
- Keep any moisture out– Moisture will ruin the crispiness of the sweet potato fries, so make sure you pat the sweet potato dry really well before you cut and fry it.
- Preheat the air fryer– When you preheat the air fryer, it gets hot enough to cook the fries until they’re browned and crispy. If you try cooking them without preheating, they are paler and not as crispy. So make sure you preheat for the best air fryer sweet potato fries.
Can I air fry frozen sweet potato fries?
Yes, you can. If you only have frozen sweet potato fries, you can cook them at the same temperature, but just add 5 minutes to the cook time to account for their frozen state.
How to reheat the fries
When you want to reheat sweet potato fries, the best way is to put them back in the air fryer basket and heat them up for a few minutes at the same cooking temperature. This way, they come out just as tasty and crispy as before.
Best dips and sauces to serve them with
- Buttermilk ranch
- 4 ingredient BBQ sauce
- Garlic herb dipping oil
- Amazing tartar sauce
- Copycat Chick-Fil-A sauce
Full Recipe Instructions
The BEST Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- In a small bowl combine 3/4 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp onion powder, 1/4 tsp smoked paprika, and 3 tbsp tapioca flour or cornstarch. Set aside.
- Rinse and pat your sweet potatoes dry using paper towels. Try to get as much moisture out as possible.
- Now cut the sweet potatoes into your desired fry size. Mine were about 1/4-1/2 inch thick.
- Then add the cut sweet potatoes into a large bowl along with the spice mixture, and 2 tbsp avocado oil. Using your clean hands, toss everything together really well.
- Preheat your basket air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and place the fries in a single layer. Fry for about 20 minutes, shaking them about halfway through. Serve hot for best crispiness.